Saturday, August 23, 2008

Learning with David Leffel

I've been rather busy the last couple of months and things aren't going to settle down anytime soon. My studio is undergoing re-construction this month and I'm taking a David Leffel workshop in Fall City starting this monday through Friday. I'm very excited. If you don't know who David Leffel is, I suggest you Google him. He's considered a living Master and his work has influenced every stroke of paint I've made in the past two years. He, above all, is considered one of the great teachers of our time. Here's a comment on someone's blog about him.

I consider it a great privilege to take a workshop with this painter and at the same time I'm terrified. I understand completely what my students feel when I approach their easels during a class. On one hand you are so hoping to get a kudo from the teacher, terrified they won't say anything (what's wrong with it????Is it that awful??? What am I paying you for?) and at the same time worried that they will. What I have resigned myself to being in "workshop curve". I seem to forget everything I've ever known and everything I've ever studied, my hands become absolute paddles, my brain gets addled and I totally do a brain freeze on mixing color. What is that anyway? Sigh. But I'm still excited to meet the Master. I'll be trying to post a few things to this blog during the week, but forgive me if it doesn't happen. I promise to share everything and anything I learn with you all. Many thanks to Rosa for calling me about this workshop. I didn't think at the time that I would be able to do it. My husband convinced me otherwise. What a gift.

No comments: