Monday, August 25, 2008

Day One of David Leffel Workshop

Aaaagh! I forgot to bring the gizmo for my camera that downloads the photos!!! But take heart...I'm taking tons of photos and lots of notes. I promise you all I'll start posting the workshop stuff as soon as I can following my return on Friday.

All my fears are put to rest. David Leffel is an incredible, humble, beautiful human being and an incredible teacher. We spent the first half of the day in a demonstration and the second half setting up and starting our own still life's. It's very exciting! There are about 20 students in the workshop and everyone is very intense about the work. Everyone is on a different level but it doesn't seem to matter - David meets everyone on the level they are working on.

Just as I feared, I'm in workshop mode. But David said that my set up was great and the painting is coming along great so I shouldn't worry. However, I'm attempting to do the entire panting in hog bristles which is a huge change for me. I generally lay in the painting with bristles and then switch to sables for the rest of the work. I feel like I've spent the day fighting the brushes. But so far I'm resisting the temptation to switch to my regulars. The palette is also a bit more limited than the one I generally use but so far that doesn't seem to be too much of a problem.

I'm pretty beat tonight and I'm going to hop in the shower and then snuggle into a comfortable bed for some reading. I'll check in with you all in a day or so.

No comments: