Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Day Three David Leffel Workshop

I'm pooped. I've been painting since 9:00 am this morning and my brain feels like mush. I'm definitely in workshop curve curse. I forgot how to paint fruit. Fruit!!! I totally forgot how. David said I've been going "down hill" all day. Certainly feels like it. At least it's not a surprise and it means that I'm trying to unlearn old habits and learn new ones. Of course I forgot how to paint fruit - he does it so differently than I do!

2 comments:

Angela E. said...

How does David "do it different"?

Susan Martin Spar said...

Good question. Perhaps I should clarify that. I come from a background of careful rendering which is born of my Attelier training and also my Trompe l'Oeil background. That kind of painting has you modeling nearly every detail. David teaches simplification - something I've been striving for in my paintings during the past year or two. He states that light is "flat" and emphasizes much less modeling. His shadows are darker than I generally make mine and he has little or no modeling in them. He continuously admonished me to knock down all the work I put into modeling a peach. In two strokes, he had it perfect. I talk more of this in the lessons to come.